How to Host a Successful Open Book Party
An Open Book Party is an easy, relaxed way for you to help WSP by raising awareness of and support for the program while spending a couple of hours with people you like! After everyone has arrived and had a chance to meet, mix and mingle, a WSP representative will speak for 10-15 minutes about what we do and why we do it.
Next, we’ll show a seven-minute video that captures and conveys the power of the program (https://vimeo.com/115048450). Afterwards, the WSP representative will give closing remarks and answer any questions. We’ll distribute response cards for your guests to complete before they leave indicating whether and how they wish to support WSP. There is absolutely NO PRESSURE for people to commit, but we find that most people do! And, while promoting WSP is the reason for the party, there is still plenty of time for people to simply enjoy visiting with one another. It’s a win-win!
Here are eight simple steps to hosting an Open Book Party:
- Decide to have a party! Invite your friends, family, neighbors, work colleagues, Bible study group, book or wine club – in other words, any group of people you think would enjoy spending some time together and learning about WSP.
- Plan the party: coffee and breakfast tacos, wine and cheese, cocktails and appetizers, poolside BBQ, a theme around your favorite book characters? Use your imagination!
- Review your calendar for two or three dates and times that work for you. We suggest Thursday evenings or Sunday afternoons. If these days don’t work with your schedule, you choose what will. Please allow about one month’s lead time for planning and preparations.
- Contact WSP (firstname.lastname@example.org) to let us know you wish to host a party.
- Make your guest list. We recommend you invite 30-40 people to help assure that 10-15 will attend.
- Send your invitations at least three weeks in advance. Online invitation services, such as Evite or Punchbowl, seem to work best. Staff will give you some suggested text to include in your invitation.
- Prepare for your party! On the day of the event, the WSP representative will arrive one hour in advance to help with set-up.
- Have fun!